The first: LWM 8.7

The first one was made from nice white laminate material. It was made in a rush as I was pretty curious about the shape. Although I knew that the mast I had at that time is not the correct one and not the one I prefer to use in the future, and I didn’t had the optimal battens as well, but couldn’t wait.

Design wise, I chose the 6 batten layout to save weight, quite moderate head angle, and quite a moderate leech curve, but a massive foot roach. On the picture below is missing the clew cut-out, which modifies the  the angle between the clew and the n 6 batten obviously. I also recut the leech curve as well during the building, to add a slightly negative to the lower leech and a kink to the top. ( see photos later). Also my idea was to make the sail as much design and built in twist as possible, to avoid the loose leech but still having twist on the sail to avoid stalling. Now it is a question if works or no. In theory, yes.
I usually make my sailshape with broadseems and luffcurves additionally, so I used the flying shape of my next sail with cam, but with a different, smaller luffcurve, to fit to the shitty mast and be able to use as a no-cam sail.
Construction wise, I used a nice white laminate, with some xplys for the window, and technora luff panel to be stiff along the luff to avoid stretching.

The task was to make a sail which can be used and just to see some basic stuffs, so no worked out details,
even no cams, just a mast sleeve. On the corners , batten pockets, etc just used the detals same as on the catamaran sails, for eg the clew cover patch was the same as my F18 jib clew cover patch.

Of course, as I was expecting, the luff curve was not 100% for this mast, but could see the shape quite well and delivered well the power. The lower wrinkles shows the lac of luff curve on the lower part of the mast, but on the water they dissappear very nicely.
On this picture the shape around the No 5 battens seems a little too round ont the back part, it is as the battens there is from a Flying Phantom main, so quite a soft one here. Before leaving to water just changed to a better one.

Conclusion

Basically I like a the flying shape very much, although there are the mistakes in the luffcurve and with the batten stiffness. The leech opens quite a nice amount, so it doesn’t stall. This amount quite be good for light wind as we have shape on the upper part of the sail, so can be hang the sailor weight on it even in light stuff.
After the testing, I can say it is a pretty good lightwind machine, delivers great power and speed to foil early. I make the luff recut to match the platinum mast, and perhaps giving some more loose leech to be managable in bigger wind range and put in the normal battens as well.

Next sail is the its upgraded version with cams, monofilm/technora laminate construction. Keep in touch, see you soon.